Friday, October 26, 2012

Music in the Home


I try very hard to have all the parts of a good CM school in our homeschool - but don't always succeed.   One of the struggles we have had this year has been doing the music things - composer study, folk songs, and hymns.  They just are not happening.

But I was reminded of something the other day.  I had gone to the store to run an errand, and when I came back, Mike had the family dancing to music....  and I reminded myself of the variety of music our children are exposed to in our house....

Here are a few things that played that day (or other days very recently...)

Classical:

  • Double Bach Concerto
  • Vivaldi's Concerto in A minor
  • Vivaldi's the Four Seasons


Folk:

  • MANY Stan Rogers songs
  • The Capitals Song
  • I'se the Boy
  • Squid Jigging
  • Ketchup loves Potatoes  (Stomping Tom)
  • Big Joe Mafferaw (sp?)
  • The Crusaders
  • The Highway Man
  • Canada's Really Big  (Rocks and Trees....)
  • It's Not on the Test
  • The Pickle Song  (I don't want a pickle......)


Other Instrumental:

  • "Noisy Bagpipes"  (this is our family's nickname)
  • Royal Canadian Air Force March Past
  • Armoured Core March Past


Other:

  • Sneaky Snakes
  • several country songs


and more!

So - I just have to remind myself what I told Mike a few years ago when he said he wanted us to do folk music in school.......   "Our kids know more folk music than most people just from hanging around you....  do we really need to schedule it?

No comments:

Post a Comment