Thursday, May 26, 2011

History Rotation 2


~500 - 1453

World History
A Child's History of the World (ch 42-60) - Hillyer Read 1 chapter a week (leaves extra weeks free)
OR
On the Shores of the Great Sea (? chapters) - Synge Read 1 or 2 chapters a week (avg ?)

Canadian History
The Story of Canada (ch 1-2)
OR
My First History of Canada (ch 1-2)

Biographies and Fictional History (WORLD)
Do not feel that you need to do ALL of these. You may also pick books from the younger years.
(This list will likely be added to)

This list is compiled from various sources, which I will be using to decide which books my children will read based on interest, abilities, availability, etc. The year placements are approximate.


Years 1-3

Lief the Lucky
Viking Adventure
Stories of the Vikings - Mary MacGregor
Our Little Saxon Cousin of Long Ago - Julia Cowles
Our Little Norman Cousin of Long Ago - Evaleen Stein
Our Little Viking Cousin of Long Ago - Charles Johnson
Our Little Crusader Cousin of Long Ago - Evaleen Stein
Famous Men of the Middle Ages - Haaren
The Door in the Wall
The Minstrel in the Tower
The Whipping Boy
St. George and the Dragon
Sword in the Tree
Brother Francis and the Friendly Beasts
The Apple and the Arrow
Medieval Feast
Castle Diary
Pippo the Fool
William Tell by Margaret Early
Joan of Arc - Stanley
Marguerite makes a Book

Years 4-6
The Vikings
Beorn the Proud
Galen and the Gateway to Medicine
The Shining Company
Adam of the Road
Castle
Cathedral
Robin Hood - Pyle
The Red Keep
Joan of Arc (Landmark)
The King's Shadow
King Arthur and His Knights
The Pied Piper of Hamelin
Adam of the Road
Otto of the Silver Hand - Pyle

Years 7-9

Beric the Briton
Rolf and the Viking Bow
For the Temple
The Bronze Bow
The Dragon and the Raven
In Freedom's Cause (Wallace and Bruce)
Scottish Chiefs (Wallace and Bruce)
The Once and Future King
Sir Gawaine and the Green Knight
A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court
The Pushcart War - Jean Merrill
The Knight's Fee - Rosemary Sutcliff
The Gambage Cup - Carol Kendall
Sir Nigel and the White Company - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Beowulf - Burton Raffel
The Black Arrow - Robert Louis Stevenson
Hereward, the Last of the English - Charles Kingsley
The White Stage
Story of King Arthur and His Knights
The Book of Arthur
The Shining Company
The Magna Charta
In Freedom's Cause: A Story of Wallace and Bruce
The Prince and the Pauper


Years 10-12

Men of Iron
Voices of the Renaissance and Reformation
The Second Mrs. Giaconda
The King's Fifth

Haven't Decided on Year Level Yet


How We Learned the Earth is Round by Patricial Lauber


Biographies and Fictional History (CANADIAN)
Do not feel that you need to do ALL of these. You may also pick books from the younger years.
(This list will likely be added to)

This list is compiled from various sources, which I will be using to decide which books my children will read based on interest, abilities, availability, etc. The year placements are approximate.


Years 1-3
Very Last First Time - Andrews
Dragonfly Kites - Highway

Years 4-6
The Dream Carvers - Clark (Viking boy captured by natives)
Lost in the Barrens - Mowatt

Years 7-9

Years 10-12


Haven't Decided on Year Level Yet


2 comments:

  1. I have another question about an old post -- I don't see Our Island Story in your schedule. Did you decide against using it? I really like your 5-year rotation but I also really like AO's schedule and I feel like I'm trying to do both as I schedule this year. I am basically starting fresh with AO with my younger set after a not-so-great year last year. I have an 8-turning-9 yo and a 6-turning-7 yo and starting them both in Yr 1 of AO seems to make the most sense. I like doing history as a family and using it as a spine. I'm struggling with figuring out a schedule, though. It complicates things that we only decide on homeschooling year-to-year, and I know that the kids will be in public school by gr 7 at the latest, so I do kind of have to follow along with the provincial curriculum to an extent (or rush to fill in the gaps during the summer if we decide someone's going to school that fall, lol).

    And I want to say a big thank you to you for sharing how you've worked out your scheduling, books you've found, and how different resources are working for you, especially Canadian history stuff. It has been a huge help to me with modifying AO for my family. I was floundering with it until I remembered your blog and looked through your ideas, and they have helped me figure out where to start and sort things out and helped me understand the AO schedule better as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shannon! This post was one of the things I was planning when I wasn't going to do AO or another program. I discovered that my kids don't work well together in family studies. We are now doing AO removing TCOO and puting in Story of Canada by George Brown.

    My old posts have some great ideas, but isn't always the way things ended up.

    ReplyDelete